Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Experiences with Parasound & Magnepan?

Hey, Dawnrazor!

I was thinking of you today when I was researching amps. I didn't know you'd sold your Pass to Wazoo -- he told me in an email a few days ago that the Pass was better, but not radically so. Of course, he may have been trying to preserve my feelings. :-)

I thought briefly about trading up to the Pass but was concerned about the space heater aspect too. John Curl says somewhere that if you want to improve the A-21, you can rebias it until the heat sink is hot or the thermal protection triggers! That would make it more Pass-like I'm sure, but I'm not sure my heart is up to that . . . or my ability to pay the electric bill . . .

Still not sure what I'm going to do amp wise. My MiniDSP is ordered so I'll definitely need another amp. One possibility would be putting the A-21 on the bass and then getting something smaller for higher up since the Neo 8's are so efficient -- Satie has a Mark III on his. I thought about getting an A52 so I could power both the Neos and the ribbon, but I'm afraid it isn't as good as the A21. A51 is a more expensive possibility. Overkill power wise, but it would likely sit in Class A most of the time, given the efficiency of the Neos. And the A23 isn't as good, either.

Was also looking at the HCA-3500, would make a good hefty bass amp and they're pretty cheap. JC has suggested some mods that he says eliminate the HF harshness and make it perform overall like a $5000 amp -- mostly upgraded caps, resistors, rectifiers -- not that I'd need to do them for use as a bass amp. But you can have the mods done for about $600 if you don't want to do them yourself. Looks like with the mods it could be an amazing deal for someone who needs a hefty amp.

So why aren't your amps connected? Is your system down? I thought I was supposed to be the guy who couldn't listen to his gear.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.