Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

+1 on the .7's

I have owned 2 pairs of MMG's through the years and heard .7's twice at the dealers with VERY modest Rotel integrated...so totally blown away be the overall presentation, but the bass was really impressive from a speaker that size...I was there actually auditioning a REL S2/S3 subs for a friend...in a room very similar in size to yours...I barely turned up the gain on the sub, in that room...IMHO it really did not "need" the sub, but it did fill the bottom nicely...

I have a post running lower on the page about the 1.7i's, they are a very impressive speaker, but are very very similar to .7's they just play much bigger...he has a similar size room to yours, bought the 1.7i's, he was replacing tweaked out pair of 1.6's...

Here is some brief history on the i's treatment...when they came out with the 20.7's they learned a few things that could be applied to some existing models...so they offered the $500 upgrade to 3.7 to 3.7i's, which I did...then they came out with .7's that got the I, treatment in the design phase, so there will be NO .7i's because it is already there...then they released 1.7i's because it was the first model in .7 series, then they applied the I treatment to that existing model and are NOT doing a factory upgrade to 1.7's, could not justify the a $500 upgrade on a $2200 speaker...

IMHO .7's are a much more refined speaker than the MMG's and also a little more than twice the price of the MMG's, but worth every penny...

I personally prefer the QR foil in the Bass section over the wire...what I have "heard" QR foil has less mass then the wire, but covers more surface area...so it was a win-win...one of attributes all .7 series models have, IMHO they are just much more coherent and sound more like a single driver...

My friend let the 1.7i's run 300+ hours, 24/7 hooked up to older Pioneer receiver as a preamp through his bel canto mono block amps, just so he would not put all those hours on his CJ 16LS II preamp...he is an engineer and very anal retentive in all aspects of his life...he said at 296 hours they really opened up and ran them another 50+ hours...before he hooked up his CJ preamp...so with your extra NAD amp, you might want do the break-in with that...before you try your tube amps...

I would go with the .7's, but I would also listen to the 1.7i's, if you have a local Maggie dealer...

Good luck...please report back on what you decided and you impressions...
Thanks
Mark

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • +1 on the .7's - Mark Man 05:39:37 11/05/15 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.