Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Subwoofer For Acoustat Model 3s

You have to be careful that the slopes complement one another, otherwise you'll get peaks and dips and other consequences. Asymmetrical slopes are used for various reasons but you likely have to have more control over the crossover characteristics and some measurement equipment to use them. Drivers can also be offset.

Another concern is that drivers have their own frequency response characteristics and these act as filters as well. So the net effect of the crossover is a combination of both filters. You'll sometimes see asymmetrical crossover filters used for that reason.

Basically, I'd try it and listen or better still measure -- measurements are great for aligning subs because you can tell what's going on, levels and frequency response, much more quickly with measurements than by ear.

You also have to consider that the lobing (off-axis behavior) can be a bit funky depending on the relative position of the two speakers. So some experimentation may be required. Safest is when they're the same distance. Also, the lobes will be tilted some between a line source and a point source. This will all have a greater effect at higher frequencies than lower ones -- a 100 Hz wavelength is about 10' and the closer the speeakers the less lobing error you'll get. But in practice, a sub can be put just about anywhere with minor adjustments as long as you can adjust delay so that they stay in phase.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Subwoofer For Acoustat Model 3s - josh358 13:24:16 11/04/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.