Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Subwoofer For Acoustat Model 3s

I've been playing with an RTA in my listening room, and with tones have noticed panel slap below 80 Hz, especially in the left channel, which has not yet received the "hair dryer" treatment. I plan to do that, even though in music this has not been a problem, at least since I treated the right channel after noticing some slap on Jen Chapin's Master Blaster (Jammin') from her album Revisions. I think maybe I noticed some panel slap on a song from Janet Feder's Songs with Words, not sure which song, but it has a tremendously energetic drum sound. Both these albums will give your speakers a workout, btw.

Anyway, I do plan to go over the panels again, both this time, first cleaning and then heat treating. Although I haven't noticed panel slap as a huge issue on actual music, even relatively dynamic stuff like Amused to Death by Roger Waters, I do occasionally note it on really dynamic audiophile recordings, so of course, given the perfectionist nature of this hobby, I feel the need to do something about it. Who doesn't want perfection from 25 year old planars purchased for 500 bux at a pawnshop?

However, it seems to me at the depths, panel slap will be a recurring issue. Certainly you read a lot about it in the DIY forums ESL subforums.

So, I am thinking of going with a subwoofer. I know they can be problematic to blend with ESL mains, but if I can get it done I think I'll have a pretty darn good system for potentially short money.

My two main candidates right now are a Rythmik F12 and an SVS SB13 Ultra. I'd like to hear from anyone who's successfully mated ESLs or other planars with subs about things like crossover points and slopes, room placement, etc. Currently I'm thinking a crossover point of 80 Hz, as I get zero panel slap there, even at pretty high SPLs.

I'm not as sure about slopes. I have a Parasound P5, which has bass management, and both those subwoofers also have multiple connection possibilities.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Topic - Subwoofer For Acoustat Model 3s - davidbeinct 09:23:22 11/04/15 (10)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.