Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Magnepan 1.7 setup

Most tube preamps use add on balancd circuits since they run single ended. So unless you have a real problem with hum and RFI using the balanced options will just add unnecessary circuits and crossover distortion from balanced - single ended and back again conversions.

If you do indeed need balanced connections then run balanced sources as well.

Most people do not end up needing balanced connections so I suggest you don't go that route unless you know you need to. It rather limits your choices of equipment.

Tube preamps with phono sections that you want to get in plug and play condition would be the CAT signature or reference or the Melos MA333 stack. Any version of these classics is good.

Get a read on preamps from Arthur Salvatore at http://www.high-endaudio.com/RC-Preamplifiers.html

The route I chose was to modify with modern parts an older Bruce Moore design for Audible Illusions - the "Dual Mono" that preceded the Uranus Saturn and Modulus models and the Precision and MFA models he designed later on.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Magnepan 1.7 setup - Satie 11:28:40 10/30/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.