Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Magnepan 1.7 setup

I got a used A21 of very recent vintage, it's in beautiful shape and sounds wonderful with my Tympanis. I think it would do very nicely with a 1.7i.

A23 would depend entirely on our listening level and that varies seriously from individual to individual so the safest thing to do is to measure the level at which you listen. Add 10 dB to the SPL meter measurement, then find a web site with an SPL-power conversion for dipole speakers or just do the calculation based on Maggie's sensitivity spec (for a typical listening distance, the 1 meter spec will work fine, since you have some room gain). Add a few dB for safety's sake - the ear can tolerate a surprising amount of clipping, but it isn't good for the speaker and you will hear it on some instruments like trumpet.

In general for used gear I'd rely heavily on the seller's rating. Someone with a perfect rating -- and who has sold enough stuff so that you know it wasn't put there by his uncle -- is probably going to be a safe bet.

Re sources, I'm inclined to favor Neolith's approach, which is to rip everything to your computer and use JRiver or Foobar (the latter is free), and an external DAC. Everything is moving in that direction and you can buy high res source material online. If your DAC does 2V out and you don't plan to clip your amp, you won't need a preamp at all.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Magnepan 1.7 setup - josh358 16:51:31 10/29/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.