Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Bass/MidBass Upgrade

The crossover is set a bit high for full range speakers on the DWM. That said, they are the Magnepan path to more mid and upper bass and lower midrange.

Here are my general learnings Aimed at the general reader, not Troy....

The keys to integration are:
1). placement of DWM. Every location has a different effect on smoothing peaks and valleys. It is like integrating multiple subs but for higher frequencies. If you don't have placement freedom, it is possible to create new peaks in the bass or lowest Mids (200 to 400 hz). It helps to have two DWMs rather than one, as you can put each in a different place, and don't have to put it in the middle of the speakers.

2). Attenuators. Magnepan sells an attenuator which rolls the speakers off faster. I found this to be of almost no value.

3). Resistors. These work great across the board. Experiment with values.

4). Placement of primary speakers. This is probably the most important issue. The perfect location for a full range pair of Maggies and a pair with DWM support is not the same place. You effectively change the speaker, and a different larger speaker with more upper bass power needs a different location. In general, I find DWM support allows, or even demands the speaker be further from the FW. At three to four feet, I would probably NOT use a DWM unless the room was huge. At six to eight feet from FW, I find three series really benefit, but have no experience with other models or sizes.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Bass/MidBass Upgrade - Swamis Cat 12:22:22 10/26/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.