Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Active crossover for ET-LFE8b

ET may be an unusual case, as it purposely uses very simple cross over design with no "tricks."

The manual actually discusses active cross over as an option and recommends contacting dealers for help. I don't think a typical dealer would be much of one. However, Bruce T. will probably be very helpful - he was with me, discussing power requirements for his speaker in detail.

My problem with active is that requires you to build a cross over, and even a passive one is quite a bit of work. Then you get the choices - what brand of "special" resistor and cap to use - the highly rated ones are far from cheap. Finally, you have to rip up the internals of the speaker and eliminate/bypass the built-in circuit. This is not particularly convenient to do with many designs, and I think ET may be on of them.

I plan to replace a bypass cap on the midrange/tweeter cross over. I will let you know how difficult it is to get at it once I open the speaker by removing the woofer.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.