Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Using REW with Maggies

As you know, Siegfried Linkwitz commented on your first point regarding inaccuracies of nearfield measurements of planar speakers in the original Stereophile review of the Magnepan 3.6s.

You have an interesting theoretical idea, but I think the key, as you said, is measurements at the listening position. Everybody has their own preferences, but I don't find the 3.6's on-axis to yield the best sonic results, especially if you can use room treatment and get the speakers far enough away from the front wall (68" is the minimum distance for a 10mS delay of direct to reflected sound).

My measurements were with tweets in and both speakers toed-in only 3.25", not pointed at the listener. It helps the speakers disappear, provides a big sound stage, and gives the ideal amount of high frequency roll off to sound natural. To get a solid centered image with this placement, you must place absorption some distance symmetrically behind, and somewhat to the outside of the panels. This absorbs some of the increase in reflected sound. Again, I'm sure others have their own approach, but this measures well and sounds great.

For a great airy, coherent soundstage, get both speakers the same exact distance to the listening position (get within 1/10" with a laser distance meter). You can actually hear perfectly timed reverberation from the sounds coming from one channel in the other speaker.

Edits: 10/10/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.