Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Using REW with Maggies

One factor is that line source planars are hard to measure because not only do they interact strongly with the room, the frequency response changes as a function of distance -- so you'll get very different results if you try to isolate the speakers from the room with a 1 meter gated measurement, particularly a huge and non-existent at the listening position rise in the bass, but also some artifacts higher up. Ultimately, the only measurements that matter are what reach your ears in your room. (That's true of any speaker, but truer of planars!)

However, there are apparently arguments for measurements of the drivers if you're doing an active crossover, particularly DSP. You'll get a much more accurate measurement of on-axis amplitude and phase response if you measure outside. (You won't be able to measure power response outside unless you're prepared to take a lot of readings from different angles.) This can help with crossover tweaking and I believe it's the recommended procedure for the DEQX. You could use this curve to create a complementary frequency/phase curve, then convolve the impulse for driver correction. Not only would this regularize amplitude and phase response, it would help match the units for a more precise stereo image (some smaller Maggies have asymmetrical resonances in the woofers, I'd leave those alone). After that, you'd do room correction using an in-room measurement, making the measurements within your listening area (not in a larger area, as is sometimes recommended). That's where you'll correct for power response and room effects.

Necessary? Practical? I honestly don't know -- DEQX does it that way (or at least did last I checked), but there are lots of successful room EQ boxes/programs and not all of them do.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.