Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: I can tell you about the 3.7 to 3.7i...

I owned the 3.6 prior to purchasing the 20.7's. I looked at the 3.7's a bit before purchasing the new 20.7's. (I auditioned the 20.7's in Bear Lake at the Magnepan factory - fun and highly recommended trip!)

IMO, the 7 series are significantly better than the 3.6 series in several ways:

(1) The new series are significantly more integrated; the separate drivers do not sound 'separate'. With the 3.6's I would always notice the ribbon on much of the music that I listened to. I think that the ribbon was just better than the mid/woofer panels and maybe more even more sensitive. Overall the 3.6 is still excellent, but it does not speak with one voice like the new 7 series models. I'm guessing that the new crossover design in the 7's also helps a lot here too.

(2) The mid/bass impact and bass is better. I found this to be especially true with the 20 models. For 80% of all music the mid/bass and bass is excellent on the 20.7's and the 3.7's (I have not heard the newer 3.7i). I did add two REL 328 subs to my 20.7's last year and this has made a great speaker even greater! Greater depth and width that is all more densely filled with detailed sound. The entire sound field just sounds more 'anchored', more dense, an even more realistic. And, with the REL's carefully dialed-in (set on the lowest crossover level), it has added a mid/bass impact (I call this grunt) that is truly amazing. When a large drum gets whacked you can physically feel the impact at the listening position. (just like real!)

The used 3.6's are a FANTASTIC buy for sure, but the 3.7's are a better speaker overall. The tough decision would be whether to buy a set of used 3.6's and add some REL subs (used probably) or to spring for a new set of 3.7i's. I am not sure; but if the prices were good, you might get more mileage with the 3.6/REL combo.
StickMan451

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: I can tell you about the 3.7 to 3.7i... - StickMan451 17:28:30 08/19/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.