Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: that may well be the case, Dave ...

No, I don't agree.that subjective observations are defined in that way. If that were the case none of us would have ever garnered any help from the review rags. I, for one, do find that quite a few reviewers can describe the sound of a piece of equipment well enough for me to recognize what they describe when I hear it myself. I even learned to discount the effects of particular pieces in their reference systems which would alter the perception of the reviewed equipment.
Having a perspective (what subjective evaluation actually means) does not negate the reality of the observations, their repeatability, or that something physical rather than a placebo effect is in play.

While people's preferences vary wildly, and really few people have been practicing critical listening and taking notes of what they hear as they vary equipment and parts, enough of us have and can communicate these well enough. Some of us can separate our particular preferences from the observations and describe audio characteristics so that others can get assistance from that in choosing to try one piece over another that may improve a lacking aspect in their system's performance.

I like Art Dudley in Stereophile because he honestly gives his bias and preferences up front, and tells his readers what he is looking for.

Of course, most of us can only describe our reactions rather than the particulars of what hear. Some reviewers just wax poetically so we know well what they feel but have no clue as to what they heard. If you are saying that emotional gestalt descriptions are entirely subjective and provides nothing for further discussion then I agree entirely.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.