Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: that may well be the case, Dave ...

I didn't mean to imply that you are not subjectively sensitive. Nor am I implying - nor intending to - that you being an engineer is an impediment to listening. What would I say of myself then?

If that is the impression you got, I am sorry for creating it. I sincerely apologize.

The issue is that I take subjective observation as telling you something about the physics going on and try to speculate about what it is. When I am wrong I very much want people who know better to say so.

Perhaps I should put a caption on comments that are utterly speculative, or contradictory to established understanding (when I know it). Or just unsubstantiated with measurements. Perhaps I should be running impulse phase and FR tests on REW every time I alter something. I am happier to listen critically when time allows but I don't enjoy setting up and taking measurements that much.

I could be a much better poster and study up on the technical aspects so that I can curb my own speculation when I am on the wrong track, and perhaps go work in a lab where I can have enough measurement equipment to quantify what I am speculating about. But it is not my profession and I am not working with these tools.

I disagree that "Subjective evaluation has no basis for further discussion". Statements like "it sounds better" are only useful if you know how the person's preferences align relative to yours. Observations of sonic qualities using your hearing are not necessarily precise and usually don't provide a quantity to graph but they are not meaningless in ferreting out the physics. They don't just amount to a personal preference. In they're being repeatedly observed by other people when they try the same thing I think they are instructive.

The imbibing comment is an exaggeration of your attitude about subjective evaluation (which I am presuming would include observations). It is the implication that nobody else would hear what I heard. Otherwise subjective observations would be something open to discussion. I am with Harry Pearson on observing with your ears and making the effort to distinguish between realistic natural reproduction and its precision, and euphonic or ugly aspects of it. If a synesthetic like HP could expect others to hear what he did, so should you and I.It is not a red herring, I am making a point about philosophical differences.

I would agree that what makes for a realistic portrayal of voice and instruments varies from person to person to some extent. I would entirely accept that many of us don't want a precise rendition of the recording, or even of the goings on in the recording venue were it perfectly captured on the masters, perhaps some want "better" by "enhancing" some aspects of the playback.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.