Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: that may well be the case, Dave ...

I understand your approach to viewing the speaker as too large to have a successful time alignment. I basically disagree with that. I believe the radiation pattern is much closer to cylindrical and does not have the time smear you expect from the different arrival times from the top and bottom vs the middle. Sound wise, comparing to vandies in my system and Theils elsewhere (quite a few years back) and more recently at a friend's with Revel Studios, Sonus F Cremona, and Focal Nova Utopia, the time smear is simply not there audibly.

When I don't aim the bass panels with the mids and tweeter so that the bass panels can remain face forward with wall loading then you are right and the damn things are plain too big, so just don't allow for time alignment - and the best you can hope for is for them to be roughly in phase, In this case, a steep XO is more beneficial to just get the bass driver output out of the way..

About 6-7 years ago when I tried to measure for time smear with impulses from the REW software I did not get anything significant with the equidistant setup. I also saw some results posted here from DEQX alignment that showed no time smear on impulse tests..

As to understanding the theory, I don't know that I do. Particularly as I never tried to learn the precise nomenclature so will risk often assigning a different meaning to a term than its established meaning.
What I look at is not necessarily a perfect complement in FR as I don't find smallish humps or dips of up to 2 db to be really audible unless they are really broad, and usually peak to trough FR irregularities rarely get bothersome below 4db even if they are audible.. I do find even small time misalignments to be a problem at the mids and treble.as they appear to alter image precision and soundstage size and shape regardless of the (very minor) changes in FR. I know you don't consider these things important, but I do. I am also aware of your thinking that these things are impossible for these speakers.. I don't expect to be able to convince you otherwise and won't put in the energy to provide the measured empirical proof.necessary to convince an engineer. It only needs to satisfy me and whatever caricature of the physics may sit in my mind, I would happily share it in all its fuzziness..

My target FR is definitely not flat but rather slanted to be bass heavy and tilted down somewhat at the high end - that ever since I heard the Nova Utopia at the dealers some 4 years ago and was agape at how well the obvious deliberately shaped FR worked on so many acoustic classical recordings. Electronics were all Boulder source was computer and Boulder DAC. It was a shock to me that this kind of FR was "legit" and worked so well in practice.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.