Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Visited the Magnepan factory

I have to admit I got out of high end audio for a few years and haven't posted in a while. I still enjoy high quality sound but it wasn't like 15 years ago where I had more time and energy on my hands :) Anyway, business trip brought me to Minneapolis, so I decided to call and ask to take a tour. I had my first pair of MGIIIAs when I was a teenager 20 some years ago. I still have those speakers though they're not in the house I currently live in.

It was pretty neat to see- certainly still a small scale operation just a few dozen employees, just about everything is made by hand in that actual facility, with the exception of a CNC machine cutting the frames. I saw a guy using a sewing machine to stitch together the cloth fabric. The voice coils are also wound by hand on the mylar panels. The crossovers, input plates and the true ribbon tweeters are also assembled in house. This is certainly a departure from other American audio companies who wound up being gobbled up by corporate conglomerates and/or sent their production overseas. There is a separate refurb area if you ever send something back, there was everything from Tympani's to MG20s awaiting refurbishing.

Unfortunately I forgot to bring my phone/camera inside :( so sorry no pictures other than the sign outside. But if you are ever in the area, it's worth checking out.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - Visited the Magnepan factory - cbrc5eric 15:45:37 08/02/15 (10)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.