Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: You're on the planar forum.

The thing that I really like about the PSB Gold I's is their well articulated bass, when used with my subs, without the subs, and run full range, the advantage is less so. The acoustic bass really sounds accurate with this combination. Also, the soundstage is wide and you don't have to be sitting in the sweet spot to get it. The metal tweeter is OK and can sound good on well recorded material but can also be a bit harsh on other material. Vocals do pop out because of the forward presentation of the speaker, which again can be good or too much. I'm trying my amps in triode mode to see if that can help settle the mids down a bit.

My Maggies have been my reference....and tweaked out they are surely nice. What they lack is "jump" on low to moderate volumes and 40-120 hz can be a bit bloomy. The bass in this region is not as articulate as the PSB's. As I have 33 years of experience with Maggies I am very versed with set up and have them position for their best sonics. I also run a HP at 80hz and subs to better control the first octave, which has improved them in this area but they are simply not as good as the PSB's, bi-amp'ed and with subs.

Although, I really want to throw the Maggies back in to reference them vs. the PSB's I want to give the PSB's at least 2 weeks of serious listening before the Maggies come back. This way I hope to eliminate the charm of a new speaker and gain a greater understanding of what I like and don't like.

Edits: 07/27/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: You're on the planar forum. - raya 10:24:55 07/27/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.