Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: 4 pairs of Apogee Full Range on Audiogon

Hard to argue your points. The pair of Duetta Sigs I owned were beautiful and performed splendidly. I wish I could've held on to them but Maggie is a jealous (expletive) and isn't about sharing the spotlight.

In a lot of ways the Duetta Sigs out perform my 20s. There's no 'veil' Maggies can be known for, they're light, airy, precise and possess 'stat' speed (Maggies in contrast are fuller, richer and far more robust).. Perhaps their greatest attribute is they're far more forgiving of upstream components; they will sound incredible with just about anything you throw at them; Maggies, as we all know can be painstakingly ruthless of upstream components. These observations undoubtedly convinced enough critics (and most importantly consumers) to make the Duetta by far their best selling speaker. It's unfortunate licensing agreements could'nt have been worked out between the two but like I said before-Maggie is a jealous (blank) who's not used to sharing.

The ultimate decision for me selling the Duettas was basically non-use issue. Kind of like being the manager of two great musical giants but only utilizing one. Of course potential repair cost down the line also played into it. Magnepan quoted me about a year ago $1700 (for one speaker) to re-do a MG20. "Repair" isn't in their vocabulary since you're essentially getting a brand new speaker (the bass/mid panel is non-repairable; they're basically gutted and tossed in the trash and rebuilt from the ground up); so again-your basically getting a new speaker (minus the tweeter) at about 1/10th the cost of a new 20.7.
OTOH Apogee repairs are substantially more costly. But even such, I suspect most Apogee owners who ultimately got rid of their panels will admit it was not a easy decision to make; myself included.

Edits: 07/26/15 07/26/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: 4 pairs of Apogee Full Range on Audiogon - Green Lantern 08:59:27 07/26/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.