Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: This topic is very confusing

Not to confuse the OP more I would derate items #3 and #4 from "distant" to pretty much useless. We have discussed #4 (fuses) in the past and I think the consensus is that a standard fast-blow fuse is useless. A polyswitch is preferable but the choice is not a simple 1 for 1 swap for the fuse. A RXEF110 (1.10A) or perhaps less would be a reasonable choice (available from Parts Express for $1.50) for the tweeter but only protects from overvoltage. However, the same protection could be had by maintaining sane listening levels.
As far as #3 (cap), I fail to see how this is going to help very much. The cap will block steady dc but is useless against high frequency overload caused by clipping. Also with on-off thumps even though the signal may be dc it is not steady state but transient and the cap will not block the signal -- it will only charge up and then discharge through the ribbon. The larger the cap the better at blocking dc and lower frequency signals (2 or more octaves below the -3db point of the HP filter) but then more energy is stored (and released). Smaller caps will still block dc but then the crossover frequency and slope are altered and the design of the crossover needs to be reconsidered.
My suggestion is to follow items #1 and #2 - a well-behaved amp with no thumps and no dc offset. FWIW, I use a class D amp which has an idle power consumption equivalent to a night light and leave it on all the time.

"Our head is round in order to allow our thoughts to change direction." Francis Picabia

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: This topic is very confusing - neolith 20:46:14 07/25/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.