Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Revealation, sort of off topic.

Well, MP3s suck Just not enough there to convince even a teen listening to electronically processed voice and pop bands with an 8 db dynamic range. Even 1/4 speed RtoR sounded better.

In recent comparisons of CD DSD and Vinyl we found that for classic rock at least DSD is nearly enough to make music as believable as Vinyl.but for the rendition of voice and acoustic instruments. For classical and acoustic Jazz DSD only gets you 50% of the way for cheap and 60-70% for $6k and up. And we are not talking SOTA vinyl or 45rpm reissues.. With the interim quality level in DSD we ended up thinking significantly less of CD. placing it at 30% for cheap and 40% for $5k or more. Though a slight bit of detail is lost in converting PCM to DSD, that ups the believability of the music to 40-50%. MP3 is just a skeletal version of the music - like an airplane frame without a skin. You see what it is supposed to be but it is very clearly not it, and it won't fly.

It amazes me that there is a whole generation of youngsters who have never heard anything but mp3s have never heard live unplugged music except for the friend singing off key with a clunky guitar due for a smashing..

Another note is that classical DSD and 24//96+ remasters have much more bass because the engineers don't need to compress it to keep within the 16 bit limit. You can even get solid discrete images of bass instrument groups which are rare on other formats.where bass had been mercilessly compressed in order to leave the midrange far enough off the noise floor..

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.