Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: "I am likely going to triamp my ribbon tweeters of my 20.1's" ...

If you actively tri-amp, yes, the ribbon amp will be directly connected to the ribbon. So the issue is ... is this risky behaviour ... or not? Should you put a series cap in ... or not?

I have been actively tri-amping for about 15 years - for the last 6 years, without any fuses - and have never ever blown a ribbon.

However, I suggest it is best if you have an amp which does not make a loud turn on/off 'thump'. Interestingly, enough, the ribbon amps I had been using for the past 6 years, while they didn't make a sound ... when I recently looked closely at the ribbon (with someone else switching the amp off) I saw that the amp caused an almighty convulsion in the ribbon! :-(( But this must look worse than it sounds as, as I said, it never caused a ribbon to blow.

I have just installed new new ribbon amps - these are much gentler on the ribbons - they cause the ribbon to twitch ... but not convulse like the previous ribbon amps. They also will cope with a 2ohm load - so I'll now remove the 1ohm Duelunds that I currently have in series with the ribbons.

So I would say series caps can - and should (for better sound) - be done away with ... but you have to be careful with your choice of amps for the ribbons.

Regards,

Andy

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: "I am likely going to triamp my ribbon tweeters of my 20.1's" ... - andyr 19:40:02 07/23/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.