Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Best Passive/Active Combination of Crossovers for IIIa's and T 1-D's

I am a fan of the 20g SPC twinax cable
It is slightly to the bright side so fits well tonally with tube equipment.It is not my first choice for bass ICs but is tight.

I ground the shield only on one end and cut it off the other. I mark that end with the ground. In your grounding scheme that would be either at the source - if your sources are all grounded or at the preamp (which is what I usually do as it has its own ground so I can disregard what sources might not have a ground. In your case the TGP-5 is likely the better place to ground.

I like to use them with screw on locking RCAs or XLRs or light gauge DHL silver RCAs or knockoffs.

The Cardas Rhodium on Silver is the most I would spend on RCA connectors appx $50 per 4
http://www.partsconnexion.com/product7463.html

The Onix and Dayton (parts express) and Connex WBT knockoffs are good

On the really cheap side there are practical amphenol RCAs simple and sturdy no idea what they sound like but have minimal metal - which can be a plus.

These Neutric pros are nicely engineered and have a reputation for a darkish tone in case you need it. The twinax SPC is more white balanced and fills out the top octave more so than a neutral sounding cable. So this might be a better choice if your setup tends to sound bright or even white..
http://www.parts-express.com/neutrik-nf2c-b-2-profi-professional-rca-plug-pair--092-114

Blue Jeans cable make a digital 70 ohm cable with appropriate 70 ohm connectors that also serve as very good analog interconnects Particularly recommended for bass duties, where they are slightly tighter than the JPS superconductors

To get better bass from these SPC twinax use two runs and connect the ends of the lives of each pair and the neutrals of each pair and the shields of each pair. Do not connect the shields to the connectors, leave them to float.If you get hum then connect a drain wire to the shield at the end where your ground is (presumably the tgp 5) and attach it to the RCA neutral there or to the phono ground or body - whichever eliminates the hum..

In most connectors you will want a spacer made of a stiff but still flexible plastic - a dense foam PE or a polystyrene or PET would work. avoid vinyl.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.