Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Same thing

About 7 yrs ago I moved from a small apartment to a small townhouse, with a much bigger living room. 12'5Wx26L with a sloped ceiling 8' to 13'. My 75watt at 8ohms, NAD receiver had no problem powering my MGIIIA's, until I moved. Then I was blowing tweeter fuses at low levels, then the ribbon tweeter itself blew.

I upgraded to triple the power with a 225 watt at 8ohms NAD218THX, problem solved
John Atkinson also measured the NAD's output power on tonebursts, using the Miller Audio Research Amplifier Profiler. Fig.10 show the results with the soft clipping engaged: the increase in THD as the amplifier starts to overload is indeed more gentle than without soft clipping, and massive amounts of power were available with the 1kHz toneburst signal, which is closer to a musical signal than a continuous tone: 247W into 8 ohms (black), which almost doubles to 484W into 4 ohms (red), 950W into 2 ohms (blue), and an astonishing 1555W (green) into a punishing 1 ohm load! Slightly more power was available without soft clipping—305W into 8 ohms, 1575W onto 1 ohm—but again, this is academic.

Read more at http://www.stereophile.com/content/nad-218-thx-power-amplifier-measurements#vsmKFkiMqakWZQ1G.99

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Same thing - TitaniumTroy 20:09:06 07/14/15 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.