Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Acoustat Model 3 Speakers - First Impressions

'I'm not sure why people think 'stats aren't good for rock and roll'

That one is pretty easy. Many people are used to the bloated, unmusical bass that comes out of many dynamic systems. That is all they have ever heard and that idea of bass becomes the reference, set point. Kind of like the kids with their pumped up bloated bass as their cars drive by. This is how they think bass should sound. Think of the bass coming out of many dynamic systems as an audiophile equivalent. More refined for sure but just as wrong.

Stats/planars are actually ideal for the typical R&R/pop recordings. Generally these type recordings are compressed which makes life easy on the typical stat. And the typical stat has a resonant point in the mid-bass region which gives a bit of boost if you will in that region. A type of coloration if you will but a nice one that adds some kick and oomph to pop/rock recordings.

Forget about much in the bottom octave for the typical stat. The big Acoustats and SoundLabs would be an exception but most pop/rock recordings have little if any information in the bottom octave. Their energy/music is firmly planted in the mid-upper bass region which is where most panel speakers shine.

When I take Quads to shows we make sure we have lots of pop/rock recordings. Mainly because we like this kind of music but also because it makes for excellent demoes. Put some Pink Floyd on, crank the volume and look at the stunned look of amazement on the faces in the room! I love it!!! Pretty much ends the notion of stats/Quads don't do bass. Nonsense they are incredible in this regard. And unlike virtually any other speaker at the show the bass is coherently integrated with the midrange region. The proverbial one-two punch!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Acoustat Model 3 Speakers - First Impressions - kentaja 07:14:33 07/09/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.