Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Why More Power?

You've made this statement previously regarding sensitivity differences in the various models. Your feeling is the nominal (midrange) ratings Magnepan specifies for some/all of the models are incorrect? (Some evidence please to back that up?)

You (and some of the other posters) are really confusing the issue here. Pictureguy is asking a straightforward question, but not a single person has given him a straightforward answer.
I will attempt it. :)

IF the sensitivity specifications of the various models ARE truly identical, then you indeed DO NOT need more power as you go up the line to create the same SPL.
The caveat is the bass frequency capability. That portion of the frequency range is outside the nominal 500Hz range that Magnepan specifies, so for the larger models (which can produce lower frequencies) you do need more power to achieve that capability.

This is a straightforward physics issue and doesn't warrant any subjectivity or any other qualifiers to squishify the conclusion.

Dave.

Edits: 07/08/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.