Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Acoustat Model 3 Speakers - First Impressions

I brought these home around two weeks ago. $500 plus CT sales tax. They are up and running and sound great. I'm powering them with an Acoustat TNT-120, which provides plenty of power, and power that was designed to work with the Acoustat speaker line.

I'm listening to ALAC files from a Mac-Mini using Pure Music through a Parasound P-5 preamp DAC section. I've been listening on average probably an hour or so a night. I haven't spent a lot of time on setup yet, and don't plan to until I get the room in somewhat better shape, including selling several other pairs of speakers that are currently facing in towards the front wall.

Even so, these are sounding exceptional. I have them about 63" out into a 23' long room, about 38" from side walls to the center of the speakers. The room is 15' wide with a 7' ceiling. I'm listening about 14' back from the front wall.

The imaging is great. It is maybe not quite as pinpoint as I remember the 1+1s I used to own being, but the soundstage size is definitely bigger, more lifelike. It is really nice to listen to a speaker where you don't hear separation between the drivers. It just seems like I am listening to music, I don't know how to put it any better than that.

I don't listen to any organ music, but the double bass on Jen Chapin's "reVisions, Songs of Stevie Wonder" is as deep and musical as I could ever ask for. Her voice is simply effortless. This is a great album that I highly recommend, both for the recording and the musicality.

I'm not sure why people think 'stats aren't good for rock and roll, on Supertramp's "Cannonball," a cut I haven't listened to in years, the drums have a presence that is unmatched. The music, played loudly, hits physically from these speakers. But, if I want to listen late at night and not annoy my wife, these still have plenty of presence and detail.

Speaking of detail, on the aforementioned Jen Chapin album, there is a cut where the bass strings can be heard to move air. I don't know if I'm describing this adequately, but it is amazing to hear from speakers.

In case you can't tell, I am really glad I bought these, and can't imagine what it would cost me to get this level of sound from a new speaker.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - Acoustat Model 3 Speakers - First Impressions - davidbeinct 13:44:56 07/08/15 (12)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.