Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: "So you mean that sound from the Bryston is not as refine as the Magtech?" ...

Yes, that is what I would say. IOW, the Magtech has more going for it than just more power.

Re. "I mostly listen to classical, and not very loud, the bigger sound stage, clarity, accurate and durability are much important to me than loudness":

Re. more power ... the late, great Allen Wright (Vacuum State Electronics) makes a very interesting point about amp power in his "Tube Cook Book". He did a simple experiment with a woman walking in high heels across a room which had wooden floorboards. He reports that it took an amp which delivered 1kW of power before the sound from the speakers sounded like the live event.

BTW, increased power does not only translate into loudness. What increased power means, for instance, that the amp does not run out of steam when reproducing bass transients and is able to simultaneously render delicate highs, faithfully.

Without that power reserve, the delicate highs would not be delivered as beautifully (if the amp was being drained by its LF activity - which does suck power from the amp).

I was surprised when I first listened to the Magtech as I had assumed an amp which has that much power couldn't possibly sound 'refined'. But I was wrong.

What I cannot comment on (as I haven't heard the Bryston) is which amp delivers the bigger soundstage. But I believe Roger Sanders offers a 30-day home trial, so you can see, at least, what sort of soundstage his amp delivers.

BTW, I have no association with Roger Sanders and don't use a Magtech amp. I solved the 'power problem' by driving my true-ribbon Maggies in an active tri-amp setup.

Regards,

Andy

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.