Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Best Passive/Active Combination of Crossovers for IIIa's and T 1-D's

This is what Simon Ashton wrote when replying to a request for a comparison between his and (the other vendors) mods. I have replaced the reference to the actual name of the other vendors mods with "(other vendors) to be fair...I do appreciate his honesty...
What do you think of his mods, would they be sufficient?

"...The passive output mods offered by (the other vendors) are simply inferior so don't go for those. There are very good reasons why the differential output of the DAC should be summed and buffered.
The active outputs offered by (the other vendor) have a volume control which my mods do not
(although the DCX has gain adjust for each channel as standard). (the other vendors) mods output only single-ended even though they have an XLR socket. My mods are fully balanced and floating outputs, which means even when you use them in single-ended configuration they still offer the noise cancelling benefits of balanced connections (including reduced ground loop noise). Basically the simulate the way a transformer balanced output works, with the advantages of active circuits. My mods use the latest and best op-amps with exceptional signal to noise and distortion performance while the (other vendors) mods use a less than state of the art multi-channel IC. Also note that the active (other vendors) mods need the DCX card reader to be replaced with the LED screen but this card reader has been removed from the most recent DCX revisions."

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.