Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Best Passive/Active Combination of Crossovers for IIIa's and T 1-D's

I second the DEQX idea for experimentation and easy measurement. You are redesigning the speaker after all. I would suggest you keep the mid/tweeter XO passive speaker level for now and just replace any electrolytics you may have with a film cap of the same value.

You would then need to XO 3 channels. The DEQX should do that.

Davey's suggestion is another good option and endlessly flexible if you are ok with midlevel DACs.

The analog options are probably best with a good 3way XO. You can find decent pro audio units on craigs list for rather low cost - they will all be balanced so you .might need some RCA adapters if you run SE preamp/sources. Ran and Ashly produce good units. Ashly usually has more flexible adjustment ranges. If you still have your old XO - which I recall had a limited adjustment range then get an Ashly instead.

I would strongly suggest that you stop using the speakers for wallpaper and move them into the room as far as you can. For your current setup just at the wall as pictured you will need to absorb the backwave entirely with acoustic foam absorbers as this is too close to be dipersed.. If you need to stay within 3-4ft then take it as far our as practical and cover the walls with diffusors. If there is all of a ft and a bit then absorption is the only option.

If you happen across an Ashly 4way then get it since they don't seem to be in production any longer but have the option for you to go with 4 channels for 4 drivers and will probably have more of an adjustment range for the bass.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.