Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Old news

I made the same transition last year, with the exception that my IIIa's were stock. I found the 3.7i lacked coherence for several hundred hours. Images were confused and I was wondering if I made a mistake. Time and experimentation on placement cured all doubts.

The upper midrange is substantially smoother and laid back in the 3.7i. The bass gets better on the new models with break in, and the mid upper bass is great, but Magnepan clearly abandoned the lowest bass. It never reappeared.

In my room, the new model really seems to "like" being closer to the FW* than did the old, and to be aimed more directly at the listener. The IIIa's sounded best in a Limage setup, where as this set up is much more problematic with the new speaker in my room.

Let me know what you discover as I would love to borrow from your experience.

* the high frequencies on 3.7i just jump to another level of realism when ribbon tweets are aimed at the ears, though it may call for the use of resistors if too prominent.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Old news - Swamis Cat 05:24:16 06/28/15 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.