Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Seperate power amp for DWM with Super MMGs - Tube/SS, and question

I've done this, and it worked quite well! Instead of going through the DWM and then to the MMGs, (the normal Super MMG setup) the MMGs are directly powered by a tube amp (Rogue Cronos KT90 retubed with EI/Mullard), with the DWM powered by a 200W into 4 Ohm solid state amp. The Cronos has a variable pre-out that is going to the SS amp.

It sounds very good. There is now, finally, sufficient midbass, that is controlled, tight, tuneful, with punch. The solid state is doing what it does best (bass!), and the tube amp what it does best (mids/highs). It has what the UK-philes call "PRAT." Naim-ish.

Since I am no longer using the high-pass filter in the MMGs, they go considerably lower, and sound great since they now have enough power. (The DWM was taking a lot of the tube amp power) There is likely (I haven't measured it but can hear it) and midbass bump in the response.
I may add some 1.4 mH inductors as Magnepan recommends to roll off the 200 Hz cutoff in the DWMs faster, and maybe add a pad resistor or two. Comments/suggestions welcome...

Technically, it's not biamped as I am using the passive crossover in the DWM (50-200 Hz).

The mix of tube/ss amplification is very interesting...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - Seperate power amp for DWM with Super MMGs - Tube/SS, and question - gkirkos 08:58:03 06/11/15 (4)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.