Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Replacing capacitors in 2.7 QR

Thanks for chiming in JBen. I'll look into line level crossovers... but a new amp (or amps) is one of those things that is not going to have a high spouse approval factor, I'm afraid. So for now I'm stuck with new boxes of circuits behind the speakers. Thanks for the suggestion though.

IMO "top performance" is an illusive thing. And without serious upgrades to my amplification, pre-amplification and room acoustics, I'm never going to see it. And that's not in the cards at present. Which make small, incremental improvements the order of the day. Which is why I'm looking at a "good but not cost is not object" XO upgrade.

I've never heard a Gunn'ed maggie. But I know people rave about them. And that cannot be happening if PG does not have a good ear for a well designed crossover for maggies. So I'm very much inclined to trust his selection of components for the 2.7 crossovers (that he sells). Which is why I'm interested in learning if the substitutions I mentioned earlier would be detrimental to the PG "sound".

Also, I did not mention previously and important little twist...

The stock XO for 2.7s treats all three drivers separately. PG's XO does not. He straps the mid and tweeter together as a single driver. So it's a simpler crossover, But he appears to be mixing caps to get some sonic affect. And it's that that I'm hessitant to mess with.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.