Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: 'Where's the beef?' - Magnepan must've added steroids to the 3.7i.

The Tympani are awesome speakers, particularly with updated parts and bi/tri amping. The only serious drawbacks are the lack of dynamics on bottom half octave bass without wall loading and other tricks and that the midrange can be slightly on the thick side compared to the better electrostats and a few very expensive recent drivers (both cone and planars like the neo8 I use).

Compared to recent listening with the Focal Nova Utopia, sonus Fabers, Magico and Revel Studio the stock Tympani is lacking in dynamics through the midrange. With the Neo8 and presumably also with a line of AMTPRO-4 planars the Tympani is fully competitive with all of these but for the bottom octave which requires an extra helping of tweaks and/or subwoofers. The 3.x models don't do it though they do go a long way. The 3.x does not sound like a big speaker. Even stock to stock the T-IVA vs 3.x will leave you prefering the T-IVA on all aspects but for midrange clarity in the most recent version of the 3.x. Upgrading the mids to foil at the factory should improve this performance. .

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: 'Where's the beef?' - Magnepan must've added steroids to the 3.7i. - Satie 11:27:06 06/09/15 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.