Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Replacing capacitors in 2.7 QR

OK. I'm clear on the fact that I cannot replace stock 2.7 XO components in the same physical space that the stock is installed - it's going to require an external XO. Fine. So I emailed Peter Gunn.

He was VERY helpful in providing his crossover diagrams with a lot of good, helpful advice. Thank you Peter. But I don't want to bother him any more. So I'll put forward a few questions here...

PG's 2.7 XO calls for two 6.8 uF Obbligato film oil caps, and one additional 6 uF cap. But the Obbligato film oils (oil cans) are SO cheap, I'm assuming it makes sense to upgrade these to Obbligato Gold. Would that be correct?

And to fill the 6 uF capacitor need PG directed me to pick either 5 uF Auricap with a 1 uF Clarity PX or a single 6 uF Jupiter copper cap. And he was kind enough to suggest that without wood frame and everything else to pull the very best out of my 2.7's, the very expensive Jupiters will likely be overkill. I'm good with that.

But PG also mentions on his website that Auricaps and Claritys are as cheap as he's willing to go. So surely there are good caps inbetween the quality of an Auricap/Clarity combo and Jupiters. Like Mundorf M-Cap Supremes?

Am also unclear about PG's reccomendation on a 1.5 ohm Duelund resistor. Would that be the Duelund Standard or CAST?

Thanks in advance for the help. :-)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.