Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: What amplifier to drive 3.7i?

No doubt Magnepan does a lot of research to a) improve existing performance, and b) keep their speakers at a customer friendly price point. I'm pretty sure we're talking about the latter here.

In my estimation Magnepan could provide better bracing like Mye stands, Sound Anchors or similar designs that would improve performance by reducing resonant vibrations in the frame. On the downside, I suspect this would substantially increase production/shipping costs. Maggie stock feet are of simple design and construction and add virtually nothing to speaker cost.

From an aesthetic, marketing and manufacturing standpoint the minimalist stock feet are an attractive choice, but performance-wise they offer no sonic advantage whatsoever. While Magnepan may not officially endorse after market stands, they've certainly researched the idea, and these products provide useful unsolicited R&D for future Magnepan designs with no cost outlay.

If I were advising Magnepan I wouldn't necessarily recommend upgrading the stands on the basic Maggie as it would undoubtably increasee speaker pricing. OTOH, a smart move might be to offer their own or jointly endorsed after market stands through dealers as an upgrade option. My 2 cents.

Cheers,
AuPh

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: What amplifier to drive 3.7i? - Audiophilander 13:10:09 06/07/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.