Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Replacing capacitors in 2.7 QR

Thanks Satie.

I've not pulled the cloth off the 2.7s to see how much room is in the frame for electronics. But the frame itself is only 40mm thick. So that implies some serious limits on the size of any component. Obviously they will have to be something less than 40mm thick (depending on the depth of the crossover cutout) or they will be poking the back cloth out. And that makes the Mundorf MCap Supremes too thick.

Stacking is a great suggestion though. Thank you. I looked it up, and it sounds simple - wire the caps up in parallel, voltage remains the same, but add the capacitance. Cool. That means a pair of 30mm thick Obligato Premium gold 10 microfarad caps might work for the tweeter (@ 20 microfarads).

I looked for Dayton foil, but cannot find anything except for caps with really low capacitance, all less than 1 microfarad.

Technically, if the Obligatos fit, they could be used for the midrange too (also 20 microfarad). But the Obligatos are 630V. The tweeter caps need 400V, so that seems reasonable. But the midrange is 100V, the Obligatos - at 630V - seem like overkill for that.

Any other suggestions for good caps? Particularly if they are not very large...

Thanks for the help!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.