Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: MG20 - Pushing the limits

Consider then a simple DIY project for a Czrver Amazing 2 (the tall narrow one) like hybrid.

I would have executed it with a line array of Neo8PDR but that is not available at the moment and BG have not indicated when they put them back on the market (or even whether they will).

I was recently talking to Josh about the possibility of using a line of AMTPRO-4 dipole AMTs which should perform similarly to a Neo8PDR and priced and sized the same.
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-amtpro-4-air-motion-transformer-tweeter-4-ohm--275-094

A line of 8 drivers should XO at 2nd order at about 4-500 hz and can be combined with the appropriate subwoofer for your space. My choice would be the bipolar sub, who's drivers can operate well into the midrange. They can be low passed at 3rd or 4th order at ~400 hz.
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rs1202k-1000-watt-dual-12-subwoofer-kit--300-766
This kit includes a sub amplifier with built in XO, which you would not want. You want a more civilized amp since you would operate into the low mids.

If you build a somewhat wider baffle then you can obtain a slightly lower XO at 3rd or 4th order 300-400hz (That is what I would do)

The 8" AMT measures very well on FR and low THD. It compares favorably to pure ribbons in 2 way speakers with smoother top end than the sub kilobuck ribbons.

The project should come in at just over $3k, $2k for the line array of 16 AMTPRO-4 and the rest for the sub kits less the amps.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: MG20 - Pushing the limits - Satie 09:57:30 05/22/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.