Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: a crack in the magnepan 3.7 -) 3.7i upgrade mystery?

As an owner of the new speaker, the midrange tape was the one obvious difference between models. The question, which DrChaos highlights, is WHAT DOES IT DO? Or, what purpose does it serve?

Does it reduce rear wave volume, thus reducing the tendency of earlier models to have excessive upper midrange if placed too close to the FW?

Does it reduce midrange comb filtering effects in the rear wave, again allowing the speaker to be placed closer to the FW? If so, how would this work?

Does it dampen vibrations like a "razor" treatment?

All of the above? Other?*

One other observation as an owner of a 3.7i and an older set of IIIa's. Note in the picture how the speaker leans backward awkwardly. Mine do this too unless I take measures to prop them upright. The IIIa's on the other hand stand up perfectly straight after a quarter century, even in deep carpeting. I prefer the sound of the new speaker perfectly upright (and this raises image height). I assume it is a design defect of the feet with the heavier crossover built into the speakers. This may explain why the newest 3.7i's now come with the round 20.7 feet (Wendell confirmed to me that this is now available and it was on display at AXPONA)

* I suspect Magnepan is trying to optimize the speaker for a specific room configuration -- three to four feet from the rear wall toed in with tweets aiming directly at the listening position.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.