Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Newly purchased T1-Ds playing ... sort of!! ...

I went round to my mate's place yesterday, to see whether I could get the T1-Ds going - in the meantime, after picking them up on Monday, he had removed all the staples and taken the socks off the 6 panels.

The tweeter panels (magnets both sides) are fine - and running some warble tones through them from 1KHz to 16KHz (which we couldn't hear! :-)) ) didn't reveal any buzzing.

All 4 bass panels have been patched with Miloxane - so there's no delam but, unfortunately, the 2 panels on one side don't produce any sound ... and I can't get a resistive reading from either driver. I can see some white spots on the wires in a couple of places - so maybe some corrosion has broken continuity?

So these 2 panels will have to be sent to the Oz Maggie importer, for a strip & re-lay. But I was able to get the remaining panels working - a tweeter panel plus a bass panel each side. (I am calling these a 'T1-d', rather than a 'T1-D' ... given there is only 1 bass panel per side! :-)) But the bass is entirely satisfactory - given it's the same as what I have on my Frankenpans.)

Next task, while we're waiting for these panels to come back, is get some braced stands made - to allow the panels to be arranged in an arc.

But I have one question for you guys: the tweeter panel is only 3/4 length - currently the top of the tweeter is the same level as the top of the (full-length) bass panels ... which means there is no sound source for the bottom 2'.

Now Maggies sound best when you are sitting down, so that your ears are at approximately the centre of the drivers. This says to me that when we ultimately replace the chipboard frames (yes, the frames are chipboard - not MDF - they're so old!), the tweeter panels should be located lower, so that the listener's ears are at the middle of the tweeter panel?

Your input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Topic - Newly purchased T1-Ds playing ... sort of!! ... - andyr 20:50:39 05/18/15 (14)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.