Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Finding the best position for Maggies?

Great discussion topic! This probably the most important factor in optimizing the sound of a pair of Maggies. IMHO it is several orders of magnitude more important than the various tweaks, cables, and such, and even may be more important than most component changes.

I have tested hundreds of locations across three different rooms. Every one of them sounds and measures different. In some cases the differences are quite extreme.

My technique is always to move the speakers to a prospective location and listen to a set of reference tracks (which I stream in a playlist). The test tracks include mono, small acoustic, symphony, bass killers, rock, vocals, etc. ( I would be glad to share the list if anyone is interested -- most are 5 star recordings). Some are specifically included because they do something which is difficult to produce well -- for example the bass track is easily buried in the mix, or the guitar excites problems in the bass/ midrange, or the sounstage is naturally holographic.

After listening, I usually tweak things like toe in or the alignment of my DWMs with the mains (3.7i's). If I don't love it, I go on to another test or back to one of my favorite locations. If I do like it I test it using a Radio Shack meter at the listening position and the test tones from Stereophile number 3 CD. At this time, I may further tweak toe in, DWM placement, sub settings and phase etc. For the record the DWMs are both an awesome addition and a pain in the neck. However, the positioning of the bass panels allows both smoothing and amplification of bass and lower mid frequency response. I record my measurements (by hand) and settings on an excel sheet, and adjust for the known inaccuracies of the RS meter. At this time I will also use string to perfectly equalize the distance to the measuring seat. If it's REALLY good, I will tape it on the floor and label the tape with the test number.

Oh yeah, I also write subjective comments to remind me what it does subjectively and any problem tracks or issues. In my room my biggest problems are usually bass and upper midrange related.

My three favorites are:
1) a Limage type setup ten feet out from FW, but toed in and 30 inches from the SW without DWMs. ( my room is 20 by 14) my head is 42 inches from RW. Holographic soundstage but lacks impact and somewhat ghostly or ethereal sounding.

2) Even better is a conventional setup of roughly thirds. My speakers are six feet out from FW , toed in like a laser at my ears, 30 inches from SW. My ears are about 82 inches from RW. The DWMs are 30 inches ahead of the mains (making them twelve inches closer to my ears)

3) My newest experiment, and probably the best in sound quality and measurement, is really strange. The speakers are 21 inches from the SW, seven feet on the outside from FW, but toed in BEYOND 45 degrees, so that the inside edges are only 66 inches from the FW. This sprays the back reflection off the side wall and then to the front and then to my ears. The DWMs are set up EXACTLY parallel to the main speakers to effectively extend the bass like a wing. However because of the extreme toe in, the bass panels are closer to me than the mains as required for effective integration. This set up has better, tighter, fuller bass and also substantially livelier upper midrange without a hint of glare. Imaging is solid and realistic, but not as deep or holographic as Limage.

In all three cases, I have my Rhythmik sub closer to me than the speakers usually with the XO at about 45. Oh, in all cases my set up is with tweets in.

I just got back from AXPONA. In my jaded opinion, only the Acoustic Zen and Sonus Faber rooms sounded substantially better than my lowly Maggies in set up 2 or 3 (though other rooms did some things better and other things worse). The Maggie's that were at the show won best sound awards by JV at TAS (at least best for the money). Mine sound substantially better in every way than the show ones (they were shoved in a corner and only two feet from the FW in a too small room. Still they did sound real good, even Wendell approved).

Sorry for the too long reply. I can't wait to hear other ideas or feedback.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Finding the best position for Maggies? - Swamis Cat 13:16:02 04/30/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.