Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: understood

Thank you for you kind understanding and reply. I've been scratching my head trying to provide a classical recommendation ever since reading it.
Should I provide a classical music recommendation I feel I would encounter the same problem I experienced with your initial recommendation. I can't provide one release that would meet the necessary criterion. Opera buffs would need to be considered, then there are those who want chamber music, orchestral music, concerto (soloist: violin, piano etc.) with orchestral accompaniment, sonatas a soloist alone, and or included in a 'duo', etc., etc. Then there are recordings which feature 'original' instruments and performance practice vs. contemporary or modern playing practice. Often featured recordings include re-release in up-to-date re-mastered sound of older and 'classic' classical recordings. The best I can do is to offer a recommendation to this website: http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/.
Each week they come up with recommendations, many of which provide listening samples plus video interviews with the artists and story behind the actual making making of the recording. For those willing to make the investment (about $100.!), I've been listening to a box containing 41 CD re-releases of classic recordings in the Decca Phase 4 series which offers a little bit for many interests. Then there are both highly prized performances and praised recordings in the 'Mercury Living Presence' collections (there are 3 boxes amongst them, the RCA 'Living Stereo' Collections (2 boxes, with ~60 CDs and each under $100.), Philips Original Jackets Collection, 55 CDs under $100. All affording a lifetime of listening pleasure with an introduction into the world of so-called 'classical music'. (I own them all!)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: understood - Norman M 06:55:17 04/30/15 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.