Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Magnepan 2.5R crossover help

Thanks for the input guys. I've already looked at the electrical response diagrams for the Magnepans and that only tells you part of the story. The bass panels have a severely rising response (or dipole dropoff, take your pic), hence the chosen crossover point by the factory. In my living room I actually have flat-ish output from ~40-50hz up to about 200 (the peaks and valleys in this range are definitely room and placement related), then there is a lot more energy from there peaking at around 500hz. Then it drops from that peak about 10db at 1.2khz and the ribbons start kicking in strong at 4khz. This is just a quick measurement with Mathaudio, haven't done a more comprehensive measurement with REW yet.

I know the resistors are there to bring the ribbon impedance up from 1.45 ohms, but I still don't get the point of the 2uF cap.

When I talked about speaker polarity i meant switching the whole speaker inputs (- at +, + at -), not individual drivers. I know this model has the mylar back so that's probably why it's flipped. The suggestion I read insinuated Magnepan had many 2.5R that were shipped with something wired wrong or labeled incorrectly which caused severe cancellation at the crossover. I can also confirm this with previous measurements (forgot to screen shot it) because the null centered at 1.2khz was like 20db down! This caused a very hollow, far away from the stage type of presentation. Once i flipped polarity at the speakers plugs the music sounded much less hollow. I don't know how the crossover managed this, it's the kind of thing I'd expect if I was flipping the polarity of one driver on one speaker, but not when flipping the whole speaker. I guess I could switch one drivers polarity to see the effects, but I haven't taken the socks off yet and won't really have the time for that until this summer most likely. I have much more experience in active setups than I do fiddling around with passives (that's probably obvious by now), but I won't be taking that step with the Maggies just yet.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.