Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: It's free

When I ran my mains full range, (ALSO 1.6s) the bass was muddy within the limits of where I could actually place the sub. That was with a sub crossover at various places ALL <50hz. I never even bothered to try higher.
The cure? When I got a preamp with bass management, THAT was the magic bullet. I run the full range siganl to the sub and CONTINUE to let its crossover 'do its thing'. OTOH, I use the Low-Cut feature of my Parasound P5 for reducing bass to the main speakers. And even though THAT crossover is 'only' 12db/ octave, setting the knob to between 50 and 60hz made an AMAZING difference and the bass is now very distinct with great tonality. When listening to Standup bass on a jazz recording, NOW I can easily follow even the most complex bass line. The overtones all come from the main speakers so there is a big feeling of SPACE and L/R imaging is improved.

Don't let people stampede you into getting Stereo Subs. For what you need, a single reasonble sub will work fine.
Too much is never enough

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: It's free - pictureguy 11:53:43 04/22/15 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.