Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: MMG Blown Tweeter Fixable ?

Hmmm, I thought I mentioned some of this before but the brain cell may be slipping.

See if you can disconnect at the foil terminals. On checking continuity from there, you are eliminating other factors. One thing that could still be happening -- that I've seen -- is a failure at the foil terminal. I've see both a bad contact under the metal plate and...I also broke the foil there once...don't ask how :-))

If none of this pans out and you have to look up the (likely) break elsewhere, here are 2 things that may help:
- Put the meter on impedance mode at the terminal. Using a blunt somewhat pointed object LIGHTLY press on foil at various points...while watching the meter. (Use anything common-sense; I used a pencil eraser...because I am naturally prone to break things.) In this case, mechanical movement at the hairline break caused a brief contact.

- I also tried -- but the above worked fine -- the 2 pointed (sharp-ish) probes of my meter on several 1" long suspected foil segments. However, I got fearful of my tendency to push harder than I should. So, I stopped and tried the method above. (Once I knew where the break was, I tried this one again and confirmed it worked. OTOH, this one worked for someone else who tried the first one without success.) You do have to close the contacts at the foil terminals so that a circuit can be completed.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: MMG Blown Tweeter Fixable ? - JBen 07:48:39 04/19/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.