Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Difference Between Magnepan Ribbon Tweeters: Mg 20.7 vs 3.6

Yeah, I think it's possible it was excursion related. There are usually capacitors in the signal path, but it's still possible to create decent currents at low frequencies with the odd transient from the power amp. In this case he's noting a sudden resumption of the signal at high volume caused the issue. :)

I'm not meaning to suggest that polyswitches will guarantee tweeter longevity in all cases, but I think they will perform better, relatively speaking, than fuses in both the protection aspect and the "sound" aspect. Fuses are a fairly non-linear device and not what I would want in series with my drivers.

However, these ribbon drivers are fragile and power amps can store/deliver a lot of energy. There is some inherent risk no matter what type of safety approach is taken. :)
As has been noted previously, it's not that expensive to replace one of these tweeters and some users see an occasional failure as the price of doing business.

Dave.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Difference Between Magnepan Ribbon Tweeters: Mg 20.7 vs 3.6 - Davey 15:59:49 04/12/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.