Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

argent lenses and Maggies

Although this is probably more suited for the tweak asylum I thought I'd give us planar heads a quick assessment. I've always been intrigued with the Argent lens setup; I even created a diy quasi-lens in tweaks a few years back (granted without understanding the science behind them, and I'm not sure many do).

I knew I couldn't afford them new when they came out (around $1,500 for a set of three). So when I saw a set come up for sale ($350) in an estate sale of a local audiophile who had sadly passed away, I thought I'd give them a shot.

From what I could gather online, they're most always likened to helmholtz resonators (the ole' blowing air across a open bottle/jug concept) except in this case it's sound waves vs air across the open tubes. What's planted inside the tubes, no one really knows (at least very little is found online regarding such; which is strange in itself).

Long story short, they're great room treatments, not Maggies treatments. Also there's no set placement rules, you just have to find the right spot to plant em'; in my case one against a back wall, the other flanking a Maggie, the remaining one about 5 ft forward of the opposing Maggie.

I gotta admit I was somewhat skeptical at first but once I plunked them down the effect was heard immediately. They don't affect the "Maggie Sound", but what they will do is 'clean up' the room's waves. What I noticed immediately (and the best way I can describe it) is they removed the 'ghosting' that would present itself; meaning imaging became more apparent, 'defined' and 'steady'. I can't say imaging placement is better, because it was always there. What I can say is the placement is now more pronounced, sharp.

Occasionally I'll move them out away from the rear wall and into the room, although I'm not sure the effect is that much different, not to mention I don't want mamma running into them at night lol.

Bottom line is if you ever see a set come up for sale (company went under long ago) grab em'!

Edits: 04/09/15 04/09/15 04/10/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Topic - argent lenses and Maggies - Green Lantern 16:39:08 04/09/15 (4)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.