Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

DWM Static

Has anyone who owns a Magnepan DWM had a static problem? I recently added a second DWM which put out a lot of static like radio static or static from a loose wire. About 80% to 90% occurred with deeper bass and the rest was random. If a double bass was being plucked the static tended to occur with each pluck. With low quite organ notes it would be continuous. With symphonic music it was hard to hear unless I listened from a couple of feet away. The first DWM and the 1.7s don't have any static and neither did a DWM loaner from the dealer. I did the usual checks swapping out channels, cables, amps and R and L connections on the DWN to verify it was only the one DWM.

All of the music was classical or jazz at normal listening levels. Over a week and maybe 12 hours of listening the static has diminished until it now can only be heard if I am about one foot from the DWM and only on lowest bass notes. The really strange part is that on the first day when the static was loudest I could repeat say a 30 second section of bass and each time the static would drop noticeably until almost inaudible but then return on the next track.

I don't think a loose wire or near break in a ribbon would fix itself like this. Other than that I can only guess it might be a capacitor?

My dealer 'knows nothing' and said he would contact Magnepan but no feedback to date. Once I found the right position the bass from two DWM is pretty good. A pair is definitely better than one. 1 + 1 = 3 or 4

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - DWM Static - zulugone 17:27:26 04/08/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.