Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Quad ESL-63 owners: Please read and consider!

Kent explains this better than I do, but essentially, the sound of the 63 begins in the middle of the speaker, moving out from the center. It is not how far off the floor that changes the sound, but how much closer to ear level.

As the speakers move up off the floor, the sound becomes, not better, but different.

As the height of the speaker approaches ear level, the sound becomes more neutral, and to me, with better definition and openness in the upper midrange and top.

I have a particular situation in that my chair is on a platform raised about five inches off the floor, so I have to account for that five inches when I think about stands.

You can raise your 63s with pretty much anything to get a taste of the difference...concrete blocks.

Some folks like them on the floor, some folks like them up...it is all about what blows your skirt up.

I like, in my room with my system, the speakers up towards ear level.

But six inch blocks would be fine for testing. In fact, the other pair of 63s I had lived for quite some time on concrete blocks, but blocks don't have a decorator aesthetic that goes over well with some folks.

Although you can paint them black. :)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.