Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Quad ESL-63 owners: Please read and consider!

Pat,

I am certainly interested in your base idea, although I suspect the cost would be eye-blinking.

Glad to know Kent's board made an improvement.

It is my understanding that the frames of the ESL 63s are extremely delicate. While a new base that incorporates a stub to be attached to the frame sounds like an improvement, I am not sure it would solve all the frame movement issues.

It seems to me that a stand that holds /braces the full frame, all the way up each side, would be better.

As to the plastic base, are you sure metal would be an improvement from a vibration damping standpoint?

My experiments with idler drive turntables and with Magneplanars, re-framing them in solid wood, indicates that wood is the material of choice for vibration control.

Also, removing and replacing the plastic base would not be an easy job.

My woodworker buddy and I are designing a pair of stands that would incorporate lifting the base off the floor and bracing the panels (a la Mye-stands.

Not trying to bad-mouth your idea at all, it sounds very interesting, although cost and the complicated r/r of the base electronics package sounds daunting to me.

Hope you will keep us abreast of your quest.

Louis

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.