Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Mmmm "it already is phase-coherent resulting from the drivers all being on the same physical plane." ...

I am not arguing that they don't exist, I am saying that for our psychoacoustic purposes the magnitude of the contributions from the time smear are not sufficient to overcome the precedence effect for localization, but that that it might contribute to the sense of "ethereal" images that line source planars often induce rather than the "solid" images from a simulated point source like a Vandersteen. Should have raised that when we were discussing it with Josh a few months back.

I should point out that Beveridge's elaborate waveguides solve the residual vertical radiation problem pretty much entirely and I don't recall their having an ethereal feel to their images.

What the impulse measurements show is that the time smeared contribution is not at significant levels.to contribute to SPL so would likely be ignored by our hearing mechanism's localization process. Fortunately the time smear is too short to affect our pitch determination, which is a far longer process.

If the image height rendition of line sources is "artificial" it sounds to me far more realistic than anything I have heard from a box - even concentric KEFs and Tannoys.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Mmmm "it already is phase-coherent resulting from the drivers all being on the same physical plane." ... - Satie 10:51:24 04/03/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.