Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: +1 on stronger amp

Whatever the theoretical cause the observations are still there. The signals used were 1/3 octave warbles at 20 25 and ~32 hz and the amps used are rated for 4ohms in bridged mode.

The Crown has a damping factor of >1000 on spec and the Bryston and Classe were >100. The Bryston is not really a high current design and is not stable into 2ohms at significant power drain and definitely not so when bidged. The Classe DR9 is stable into 2ohms and less, and the Crown is stable into 1ohm and is rated to 2 ohms. The Crown can draw 25 amps and got its own dedicated circuit and breaker.

IIRC the SPL readings at onset of slap at 25 hz were about 96-97 db with the Bryston and a bit better with the DR9 and north of 100 db on the Crown. In more recent tests it was 103 db without bracing and too loud for me to be in the room with bracing. I think the difference was that the old tests were done with the stock crossover bass filters while the recent ones were done with the line level XO and Crown amp directly connected to the bass panels.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.